Fact is, I agree Melissa.  But the important question is, do you teach
good spelling and grammar?  And if not, then you're really grading them on
how well they were taught (or motivated) by former teachers.  I think we
need to teach good writing and even spelling as per Christopher Green (one
of my favorite contributors) along with our content.  One of my
colleagues, Dr. J (Mary) is considering a tandem course of Psychology with
English--probably a tandem that every course should have nowadays.

Joan