Title: RE: More on Mirecki
At 6:47 AM -0600 12/8/05, Paul Smith wrote:
Christopher D. Green wrote:

> I have it on good authority from a professor at Kansas that Paul
> Mirecki, the professor who was beat up on a rural road for making some
> disparaging remarks about supporters of ID, has now resigned as chair of
> religious studies.

The Kansas City Star is reporting that as well:

http://tinyurl.com/8ggu7

The student group that Mirecki leads has an online forum at
http://soma.secularstudents.net/phpBB2/index.php

The entire story as presented from that point of view reads quite differently from the way it was presented in the media. The articles that I read simply said that Mirecki posted those insulting comments to an internet forum, and they "surfaced" or "were made public". But apparently what really happened is that there is a guy named "John Altevogt" who has been trying to raise this kind of controversy about the University of Kansas, and he went to the internet forum solely for the purpose of finding a means of attack. On his own website, Altevogt describes himself as "Former Chairman, Wy. Republican Party; Former Associate Vice Chairman, Ks. Republican Party".

If you go to the thread titled "John Altevogt" in the "Evolution" forum you can read a long history of the forum posts made by Altevogt as well as the one made by Mirecki.
In context, this reads a lot more like an attack on academic freedom than it does a story about a careless and bigoted religious studies professor.

Actually it sounds like a bit of both, as well as a reminder that one must assume that anything posted on the Internet (even email) is a public statement (including postings to TIPS ;-).
My sig remains ....
--
The best argument against Intelligent Design is that fact that people believe in it.

* PAUL K. BRANDON                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]  *
* Psychology Dept               Minnesota State University  *
* 23 Armstrong Hall, Mankato, MN 56001     ph 507-389-6217  *
*        http://www.mnsu.edu/dept/psych/welcome.html        *