At 10:54 AM 1/13/2006, you wrote:

Annette Taylor, Ph. D. wrote:

I'm not so sure of that, at least not directly. In fact, I am not aware of any
largely popularized cases of actual 'satanic' abuse. Mostly it is just plain
old sexual abuse. If you look at the most popularized cases in the US (McMartin and the other one in CA whose name is the abuser falls prey to a senior moment),
and I have to admit I have not heard of any big ones recently, then I don't
believe religion played a part.
In the McMartin case, in spite of being the longest criminal case in history, there were no convictions of abuse of any type. While 'not guilty' is not the same as 'innocent', I thought that it was a case in which the main culprits were the overzealous interviewers who (inadvertantly) manipulated the testimony of young children.

I friend of mine was a grad student in clinical at UCLA, and did some clinical work with some of the McMartin kids. He was pretty confident that *something* had occurred because the children just didn't test normally on some standardized measures. He was also pretty clear that the prosecution had failed to prove its case.

-- Jim