I thought that some of you might be interested in this recent remarkable dissertation from a student in a major Psy.D. program (I have deleted the student's name) which a colleague brought to my attention. This dissertation may say something about the quality of the teaching of psychology in certain (not all, I realize) freestanding professional programs in clinical psychology. This program, I believe, is fully accredited by the American Psychological Association. See:

http://www.apa.org/ed/accreditation/clinpsymz.html

I see from this Web site that their APA accreditation is apparently up for review this year. Perhaps the APA site visitors will want to take note of the work being produced by the graduates of this program.

And in case you're wondering, no, it's not a hoax.

.....Scott

Author(s): (deleted)

Pacific Graduate School Of Psychology

USSource:Dissertation Abstracts International: Section B: The Sciences
and Engineering

behavior; treatment; birth

Abstract: This research project was designed to assess whether boys
exposed to a goat giving birth would improve attachment capacity as
measured by the FIRO-BC. It was assumed that the experience of viewing
the birth and the subsequent interaction of the mother goat with the
newborn kids would be a kind of modeling of attachment behavior that the
adolescents could relate to and benefit from. The study involved
comparing three groups of boys diagnosed as having Reactive Attachment
Disorder (RAD). The experimental group actually witnessed and
participated in the birth process. The video group saw a video tape of
the birth process but did not actually participate in it. The third
group was a control group from the same treatment facility and involved
with the same daily routines but not shown the video or involved with
the birth. The FIRO-BC with six subscores was used as a measure of
attachment capacity. Other measures of behavioral change were a Daily
Point Count, which was an ongoing assessment already in use at the
facility; and a Relationship Change Scale completed by staff members of
the facility for each of the boys in the study. From two-way analyses of
variance and subsequent planned comparisons it was found that few
differences existed among the three groups, with only two noteworthy
findings. There was a marginal difference in affection scores showing a
smaller disparity between expressed and wanted affection scores from
pretest to posttest for the experimental group compared to the other two
groups. Also the experimental group increased its Summed Expression
scores to a significantly greater degree than did the other two groups.
Both of these findings supported the hypothesis that boys exposed to a
goat giving birth would increase their attachment capacity. No other
group differences were noted.

(PsycINFO Database Record (c) 2005 APA, all rights reserved)

--
Scott O. Lilienfeld, Ph.D.
Associate Professor Department of Psychology, Room 206 Emory University 532 N. Kilgo Circle Atlanta, Georgia 30322

(404) 727-1125 (phone)
(404) 727-0372 (FAX)

Home Page: http://www.emory.edu/PSYCH/Faculty/lilienfeld.html

The Scientific Review of Mental Health Practice:

www.srmhp.org

The Master in the Art of Living makes little distinction between his work and
his play, his labor and his leisure, his mind and his body, his education and
his recreation, his love and his intellectual passions.  He hardly knows which
is which.  He simply pursues his vision of excellence in whatever he does,
leaving others to decide whether he is working or playing.  To him – he is
always doing both.

- Zen Buddhist text (slightly modified)