Scott,
I do share your concerns that there are some problems with design and potential interpretation of the results. But I doubt if any of our dissertations were "air-tight". Don't get me wrong, the design issues need to be addressed and any generalizations from this study would be, imho, tenuous at best. On the other hand, there are a significant number of "dissertations" from APA accredited Psy.D. programs which are not much more than extensive literature reviews or that may only involve only a couple survey instruments with relatively simple correlational analyses. Again, I am not defending these, but compared to that approach, I find at least an attempt at experimental manipulation encouraging. In addition, this individual seemed to be thinking outside the "baaa"ox. ;-)
So I would say, problematic, "yes"; astounding and ridiculous "not".
Cheers,
-S