On 18 May 2006 Mike Donnelly wrote:
> I am looking for a source on the Freud iceberg quote. You know
> the one: "The mind is like an iceberg, it floats with one-seventh
> of its bulk above water."

I haven't been able to trace Freud's use of the "iceberg" analogy, but, as
Mike indicates, it originated with Gustave Fechner. According to Ernest
Jones in volume one of his biography of Freud, Fechner "likened the mind
to an iceberg which is nine-tenths under the water". The citation is: G.
T. Fechner (1860), Elemente  der Psychophysik, Bd. II. S. 521. (Jones, E.,
*Sigmund Freud: Life and Work*, Vol 1, Hogarth Press 1953, p. 410.
[Pagination in the British edition].)

Freud was familiar with Fechner's ideas, and in "An Autobiographical
Study" he wrote: "I was always open to the ideas of G. T. Fechner and have
followed that thinker upon many important points." (1920, Standard Edition
vol 20, p. 59.)

In 1879 Francis Galton provided an equivalent analogy to illustrate the
importance he placed on unconscious mental process. In an article in the
journal "Brain", he described the mind as analogous to a house beneath
which is "a complex system of drains and gas and water-pipes... which are
usually hidden out of sight, and of whose existence, so long as they act
well, we never trouble ourselves." He went on to discuss "the existence of
still deeper strata of mental operations, sunk wholly below the level of
consciousness, which may account for such phenomena as cannot otherwise be
explained." (Galton, F. [1879]. Inquiries into Human Faculty: Psychometric
Experiments. Brain 2, pp. 149-162.)

Allen Esterson
Former lecturer, Science Department
Southwark College, London