As an undergraduate in 1979 and for extra credit in a Theories of Learning
class taught by Dan Tortora at Jersey City State College, I successfully
conditioned a rat to put a ball through a hoop. Students in that class were
so excited to see a rat do this trick that, with the encouragement of Dan,
most of the students decided to try to train their animals and some were
successful. Word got out of what we were doing and before long we were able
to secure funds through the psychology club to train 2 teams, albinos vs.
hooded rats, and make them play. As the department's lab assistant, I was
sort of in-charge of this project and had access to the tools and space to
build a basketball court-cage of sheet metal and plexiglass. Dan was going
to take care of the reinforcement apparatus. Unfortunately, and for a number
of reasons we never got the reinforcement set-up to work. One problem was
that we realized would occur was that, with the set-up we had planned, all
the rats and not just the one making the hoop would quickly learn that
reinforcement would be available when a ball went through a hoop.
Nevertheless, we did train a few rats to put a ball through hoops and it was
fun watching them 'play'-- and they could play 'rough' too. At any rate,
this happened in the Spring semester of my senior year. My recollection is
that, after most of us who were involved in the project graduated, no one
else followed up on it and it sort of died.

I admit that the project was one of the best learning experiences that I had
as an undergraduate. It is too bad that, because of the excessive cost to
maintain rats and other animals, fewer and fewer institutions are able to
offer these wonderful learning opportunities to their students.

Miguel