Just out of curiosity, Louis, how many students do you have each semester in
your 4 sections of US History?  I have 150 students in my 1 section of intro
psych and another 120 in my two sections of animal behavior. And, of course,
I've got about 75 undergraduate advisees. (And no, I do not have a TA.)

Do I know the cares and concerns of each student? Of course not!!! Could I even
if I tried? Not a chance. Do I even want to? Not really. I think it's just fine
that you try to learn the cares & concerns of your students but I'm betting
that your classes are small enough to permit that only because there are guys
like me who are willing to carry the load of very large classes so that the
university can afford to let you teach smaller classes.

And I am certainly NOT trying to imply that I do more work than you. I'm quite
certain that you devote far more time to each student than do I. I am
suggesting that  the total amount of time evens out and that each of us serves
in our own way. The reason people get so annoyed at posts such as this one is
that it implies that what you do is more valuable than a) what others do and
that b) students would be better off if we were all Schmier clones. I'm only
suggesting  that a) what you do, while valuable, isn't necessarily better and
that b) not only would students not necessarily be better off with a campus
full of Schmiers, many students could not afford to even attend the university
because the cost of all those small (Schmierean) classes would make it
prohibitively expensive.

I think you might engender less hostility on this list if you spent even half
the time trying to understand the problems of your colleagues that you spend
trying to understand the problem of your students.

Ed

Edward I. Pollak, Ph.D.
Department of Psychology
West Chester University of Pennsylvania
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/epollak/home.htm
Husband, father, grandfather, biopsychologist, bluegrass fiddler and
herpetoculturist...... in approximate order of importance.