Um, guys, it was actually Descartes who originally wrote this, in "Principles of
Philosophy." If Thorndike also said it, he was repeating it. It would be
interesting to know whether he gave the correct attribution, or presented it in
his own voice, fooling generations of psychologists after him that he was the
originator of the saying.

Regards,
Chris Green
York University