I have always attributed this quote to Kelvin, but I guess I have been wrong.
Based on this challenge I have tried to find the Kelvin quote and I can't. The
closest I can find is:

"In physical science the first essential step in the direction of learning any
subject is to find principles of numerical reckoning and practicable methods
for measuring some quality connected with it. I often say that when you can
measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know
something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it
in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind; it may be
the beginning of knowledge, but you have scarcely in your thoughts advanced to
the state of Science, whatever the matter may be." [PLA, vol. 1, "Electrical
Units of Measurement", 1883-05-03]

This is really not the pithy Thorndike quote.

Bill Scott