Stuart's reply reminds us that "religion" does not necessarily equal belief in a deity. Buddhism is a major world religion with a utilitarian moral code but no deity. The religion is based on the notion that nothing should be accepted on faith, but on experience only--it is empirical. The moral code is in place because it reduces suffering--that's the long and short of it. The only "punishment" for bad behavior is suffering--your own and others'. You may not care about others, but most people care about their own suffering.

Paul Okami

----- Original Message ----- From: "Stuart McKelvie" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: "Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS)" <tips@acsun.frostburg.edu>
Sent: Saturday, April 07, 2007 8:44 AM
Subject: [tips] Re: It's What They Believe

Louis asks:

If you do not accept the existence of a divine entity and thus the validity of a divinely ordained moral code, what is the source or origin or base or criteria or root for the moral code you do accept and strive to follow?

Answer:

From the environments to which I have been exposed.
And the codes arose from people's experiences in their environments.

Just simple trial and error and survival of behaviours that led to outcomes judged to be useful.

I think that is what Skinner meant and I agree with him.

Please, Skinnerians, correct me if I got Skinner wrong!

Stuart

Stuart J. McKelvie, Ph.D.,           Phone: (819)822-9600, Extension 2402
Department of Psychology,              Fax: (819)822-9660
Bishop's University,
2600 College Street,
Sherbrooke (Lennoxville),
Qu¨bec J1M 0C8,
Canada.

E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Bishop's University Psychology Department Web Page:
http://www.ubishops.ca/ccc/div/soc/psy

http://www.eset.com