Oh, for heaven's sake (so to speak).  I know I said I'd stay out of this, but
it seems others have found this thread worth delving into, and Louis' "No one
has even attempted to answer my question" is the final red flag.  Now, I'm
really mad.

Here goes:
I was raised a Catholic, Catholic school the whole way, Jesuit university
(minor in theology), even CCD teacher for 20 years "back in the day," so I know
whereof I speak.  I am an atheist.  And I have a strong, strong moral code and
sense of right and wrong.  My husband and children affirm that I'm the most
moral person they know.

Where did it come from?  From my own mind, from my observation of what the
human race requires me to do to make the world a better place, starting with
each person I meet.  I made up my own mind about my beliefs.  Who else should
make up your mind?  I've read a lot, I've thought a lot, and while I credit
some of my thoughts about being kind and helpful to the example of good people
I've met along the way, it certainly doesn't go to my parents.  (My father, at
93, is not [and never was] a model of kindness and goodheartedness.)  I used my
mind to ascertain a philosophy of life that recognizes that if humans aren't
good and kind to all others, then we're in Big Trouble.  (As Barbara Kingsolver
wrote, "Doomed is the bird that fouls its own nest.")

I don't need the threat of hellfire to make me do my best to be a good person,
nor do I need the carrot of a heavenly reward.  I know there are no such
things.  You know that there are.  That's fine.  You can believe what you want.
 There are those who admit they're hedging their bets, who go to church and say
they believe only because they're afraid they might be wrong, and then, "What
if there actually is a God?" Well, if I were God, I'd be pretty mad at such a
shallow reason for saying they believed in Me.  And I'd conclude that their
Hedging Theism doesn't count anyhow.  Out they'd go.

I think it's unfair, and sad, that I have to be careful to whom I admit my
atheism.  I'm questioning, right now, whether to click "Send" on this email, a
little dismayed that I may have to pay for this honesty with acid criticism and
social rejection from "believers."  (Seems a bit of an oxymoron, in retrospect,
doesn't it?)  Why is it that many people I know, if they knew I am an atheist,
would be upset?  I'm not upset that they choose to believe in God.  I respect
their belief, as I respect their requirement that I capitalize the "G" in God
and all words having to do with "Him."  Making atheism socially unacceptable is
one of the strongest uses of social pressure I've yet to encounter.

So that's my answer, Louis.  Please don't give me the circular argument that
God gave me the mind to think about Him.  That Thomas Aquinas argument, first
drummed into our little heads (at seven years!!) in the Baltimore Catechism, is
just too weak.

The quote below, which fueled my religion in earlier days, but now just fuels
my philosophy of life, has the perfect ending for me:

"Man was not born to have his hands lashed to the prayer post.
God does not want humiliated knees but feet of fire galloping,
    hands caressing entrails of iron,
    minds engendering live coals,
    lips forming kisses.
I say work, live, think.
And that this which I do is prayer enough, which pleases God highly.
And I will answer for it.
And I say that love is the best sacrament.
That you I love."

That which I do is prayer enough...and I will answer for it.

Beth Benoit