"Rob Weisskirch"  wrote, " student claimed that she heard that women who hang
around nursing mothers and infants often will sometimes start spontaneously
lactating, even though they are not pregnant. I know that infant cries can
cause nursing mothers to leak but have never heard of lactation by proximity."

Jay Rosenblatt & his students published a great deal on "concaveation" in rats.
By exposing virgin female (and male) rats to newborn pups over a period off
days,  they will come to exhibit maternal behavior. This includes hovering over
the pups in a nursing posture. But to my knowledge, lactation is absent. (BTW,
the females come to exhibit the maternal behavior sooner than the males but
both will exhibit it.)

So I believe it to be highly unlikely that proximity to neonates or even
lactating mothers & neonates would induce lactation in another woman. That
being said, there are medical conditions that can cause lactation even in an
adult man. And if a woman has recently been lactating I suppose it's possible
that exposure to other nursing mothers might elicit some lactation (or, more
likely, "letdown"). But if this ever happens it must be quite rare. In many
species of primate, non-parous females spend a great deal of time in the
proximity of nursing mothers and I know of no examples where other females in
the troop start lactating due to that proximity.

Ed

Edward I. Pollak, Ph.D.
Department of Psychology
West Chester University of Pennsylvania
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/epollak/home.htm
<http://mywebpages.comcast.net/epollak/home.htm>
Husband, father, grandfather, biopsychologist, bluegrass fiddler and
herpetoculturist...... in approximate order of importance.