----- Original Message ----- From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: "Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS)" <tips@acsun.frostburg.edu>
Sent: Friday, September 14, 2007 9:23 PM
Subject: Re: [tips] Spontaneous lactation

Oh good, I'll some ignorant thinking aloud. This seems SOOOO unlikely. I know that in a few cases adoptive moms have been able to nurse but only after massive doses of hormones over a somewhat prolonged period of time to simulate pregnancy, delivery and postpartum hormone levels. Common sense (the devil in critical thinking) tells me that if it were so easy, then adoptive moms could nurse regularly.

Annette

This is very Eurocentric.In the Caribbean islands and other Afrocentric cultures non moms nurse babies.As a matter of fact the lactation process among bthe Caribs( originally inhabitants of the Caribbean) occured among all the women as a species-survival mechanism. Some nannies in the days of slavery also provided sustenance in the slave masters household.There is some evidence that pregnancy can have an impact on males.
The Carib Indians had the practice of the couvade (sp) where expactant dads wopuld go into simulated labor.

Michael Sylvester,PhD
Daytona Beach,Florida
"when everybody thinks alike,nobody is thnking."