I was at a dinner party a while ago where I met a fellow licensed psychologist
who told me that that successful therapists must have psychic abilities in
order to be successful  (I'm not making this up). My immediate response was
"how do I teach that?". She told me "you don't. You either have it or you
don't". It makes me want to turn in my license and take up another business,
maybe selling insurance.  The insurance business is definitely more actuarial
than clinical psychology. And, by the way, most health insurance is unlikely to
cover your psychotherapy. Ironically, or perhaps characteristically, we
psychologists (as carried out by our lobbying groups such as APA) object to
that.

Bill Scott

Marc Carter said:
> Not every student, but the
> majority in every class, thought that he or she'd be a good
> therapist because of some personal characteristic he or she
> possessed, not because of knowledge of what worked and what didn't.

David E. added the note about the Phoenix rising from the ashes. I think you
are both right. Our department actively and often discourages the "I'm special"
or "I have gifts" mentality in our undergraduates. But it is a difficult idea
to suppress. Many psychology majors choose the discipline because it interests
them but equally because, "All my friends come to me with their problems".
Perhaps more disturbing is the belief, so prevalent and even encouraged in some
masters programs I'm familiar with, in "clinical judgment" when the literature
is so clear in what it says about such notions. Sigh. (speaking of Phoenixs,
I'm going to get it now!)
Tim

Timothy O. Shearon, PhD
Professor and Chair Department of Psychology
The College of Idaho
Caldwell, ID 83605
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

teaching: intro to neuropsychology; psychopharmacology; general; history and
systems

"You can't teach an old dogma new tricks." Dorothy Parker