At 10:03 PM 8/12/2008, you wrote:

>Surely there are laws in other fields; e.g.
>Boyle’s law for gasses; the laws of
>thermodynamics; the law of gravity; the inverse
>square law of light. It would seem that a law
>should be able to be defined and not at the whim
>of whomever: Something like a relationship
>between variables which is consistent across
>conditions—and I don’t think psychology has any
>such stable relationships which ‘always hold’.
>
>--Mike

I really wouldn't can the "law of gravity" a law
- at least by the definitions we are using
here.  Gravity is a set of repeatable empirical
observations for which there is a theory.  The
theory itself is quite strong - but not without its problems.

Are so called laws in psychology really that different?

-- Jim Dougan