Paul Brandon wrote:
> One reason might be that Flynn's observations are restricted to one
> specific situation, whereas Skinner's have been shown to generalize
> across situations.

I think you misread my message, Paul. Neither Skinner's nor Flynn's work
are usually called "laws."

To reiterate my main point, however, I don't think there is much point
to this distinction.
Darwin's and Einstein's "theories" are far broader and scope and far
more firmly established than *anything* in psychology, and yet they are
not called "laws." More than anything else, I think the term "law" has
to do with the scientific fashion at the time such claims are first
enunciated. For instance, Newtonians were attempting to challenge the
hegemony of "Divine Law" and so countered with "Scientific Law," but by
the time Darwin was accepted, and Einstein had come along, scientists
had pretty much a become fallibilists, and so "theory" seemed more
appropriate to (the public presentation of) that sort of epistemic
humility.

Psychologists, sad to say, have often been a little over-reaching in
their assertions of certainty, and so have occasionally claimed "laws"
in an attempt to boost their scientific status.

And we can all see how well that has worked... :-)

Chris
--

Christopher D. Green
Department of Psychology

416-736-2100 ex. 66164
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.yorku.ca/christo/

"Part of respecting another person is taking the time to criticise his
or her views."

   - Melissa Lane, in a /Guardian/ obituary for philosopher Peter Lipton