Dear Tipsters

Wise counsel from Chris, who has the historical perspective on this
question.

I wonder if he or someone else can enlighten us if physics has a special
meaning for "law"?

Stuart

I don't think that "law" denotes anything particularly fundamental in
psychology (other than the fact that the author decided to
ostentatiously name his or her idea a "law" rather than a "principle," a

"theory" or a "conjecture").

Also, I may be wrong, but I think that Weber only had a "fraction." It
was only after Fechner integrated over it that came to be called a
(logarithmic) "law." In any case, the phenomenon it describes turned out

not to be terribly lawful. It was superseded by "Stevens' (power) law,"
which does not terribly accurately capture the phenomenon either.

As for Thorndike's "law," it is only the age-old principle of hedonism
restated in a quasi-behavioral form.

Why would these be "laws" and, say, the graphs associated with Skinner's

schedules of reinforcement, not be? Why are these "laws" and Flynn's
discoveries about the rise in intelligence an "effect"? (an "effect" of
what? time?) I think "effect" was chosen rather than "law" mainly
because it alliterates rather nicely with "Flynn."

Let us not mistake the trappings of science for the real thing.

Regards,
Chris
--
Christopher D. Green
Department of Psychology

http://www.yorku.ca/christo/
phone: 416-736-2100 ext. 66164
fax: 416-736-5814
=============================
Michael wrote:
> In a recent episode of my podcast I stated that contrary to the
> advocates of The Secret (who claim that the "law of attraction" is a
> "fundamental law in psychology"), I knew of only two concepts in
> psychology which are referred to as "laws" - Thorndike's Law of Effect

> and Weber's law.  Fellow tipster Blaine Peden reminded me that there
> are some more that he could think of - the Gestalt laws of perception,

> Emmert's Law, and Herrstein's Matching Law.  We may argue as to what
> constitutes a "law" in psychology and whether the aforementioned
> belong in that definition, but Blaine had a good suggestion: is anyone

> in TIPS aware of any other laws in psychology?  I'd be happy to amend
> my podcast on this topic

(http://www.thepsychfiles.com/2008/07/21/episode-64-a-scientist-goes-loo
king-for-a-self-help-book/).