Annette (is Pat still about?)
I think this is good but in re-reading it, it occurs to me something I tell my
students and usually put on the syllabus isn't in Pat's essay/page. What I'm
referring to is that well discussed, on tips anyway, "prior beliefs" difficulty
(within the spirit of Pat's web-page). What I mean is that the "self-evident"
nature and what students bring to the class may well also make the course
difficult and specifically more difficult for some (the greater the set of
misinformation and erroneous belief the more difficult the course is likely to
be). Of course attitude/openness plays a role as well. Perhaps it should be
tied in with Pat's points on memory ("missing hooks", as he put it. But in this
case it is the difficulty of "bad hooks", as it were). It could be argued that
is part of what Pat is referring to in that section on hooks/memory but I do
find it helpful to specifically discuss the problems of "obvious answers or
common sense" and "pre-existing" beliefs on their performance. Anyway, that is
a good link or starting point for a discussion with them.
Tim
Timothy O. Shearon, PhD
Professor and Chair Department of Psychology
The College of Idaho
Caldwell, ID 83605
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

teaching: intro to neuropsychology; psychopharmacology; general; history and
systems

"You can't teach an old dogma new tricks." Dorothy Parker