On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 11:41:25 -0700, Jim Clark wrote:
>Hi
>
>Are we sure that psychology is hard?  Or, to be more precise, harder
>than other intro level courses?

I don't know what data there is on this point but in addition to the
general academic "skills building" in the article, implicit is the notion
that people walk into intro psych classes with a "folk psychology"
that leads them to think that they (a) know what psychology is
about and (b) rely upon their understanding to guide them in
interpreting psychological research, theories, and explanations.
"Folk biology", "folk physics", and other "commonsense
explanations" about the world will tend to get challenged in
high school science courses which should make the college
intro courses in those areas less susceptible to this form of
"proactive interference effect".

This led me to think of the following quote:

"It's not what we don't know that hurts us, it's what we know that
isn't so."

It then dawned on me that I didn't really know who the source
was for this.  I had taught that it was Mark Twain but a check of
a couple of Twain quote websites doesn't include it (though there
are some websites that quote Twain as saying it).  I have also
see it attributed to Will Rogers and Milton Erikson as well as
to no one in particular (i.e., "the old adage").

So, who is the source?

-Mike Palij
New York University
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

P.S.  Apparently there are a couple of versions of this saying,
so the one above may not be accurate.