Of course, you could simply not respond to the request.
If they do follow it up with a phone call, the best thing is to
simply say that you prefer not to be a reference, and leave it at that.

Had a student a while ago who insisted that I provide a reference,
and threatened to sue if I didn't.
Ticked me off to the point where I sent a brutally honest and
thoroughly documented letter of reference, including the threat of
legal action!
Needless to say I never heard from a lawyer.

On Nov 19, 2008, at 8:47 AM, David Wasieleski wrote:

> Hey all. Today I received an email from someone asking for a
> reference for a former student of mine who is applying for the job.
> The emails asks of course for information on her aptitude and work
> ethic. Without going into all the gory details, this student ended
> up as a thesis student of mine and actually displayed significant
> problems with work ethic (e.g., going off to Las Vegas for four
> days with less than two weeks to get her thesis done to graduate on
> time, and then expecting me to respond overnight to a draft sent to
> me). Since her graduation the student asked if I would serve as a
> reference, and I suggested that given all that had happened, others
> would serve better as a reference for her. So this email comes as a
> dismaying surprise. I of course do not plan to respond to it via
> email but by phone. I don't know that I want to simply state that I
> don't want to serve as a reference. But clearly this puts me in a
> bind regarding what to say when I do make that phone call. Has
> anyone else dealt with similar circumstances?

Paul Brandon
Emeritus Professor of Psychology
Minnesota State University, Mankato