Once, when I was on a hiring committee, I saw a letter of reference
(from a person well-known to the university as a benefactor and Board
member) that read, simply:

"<So-and-so> has asked me to write him letter of reference in support of
his application for <such-and-such a position>. Please consider this to
be such a letter.
Sincerely,..."

Nothing untoward was said. Everyone knew exactly how to interpret it.
Perhaps you could try that.

Regards,
Chris Green
York U.