On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 21:47:05 -0800, Stephen Black wrote:
>I resisted my own contribution to this thread but can hold off no longer.
>Some observations on the winter solstice:

And I have some observations on your observations

>1) [snip] And it may be that it is my haircuts which cause the
> sun to return.

Thank you for the example of spurious correlation that I will use
in class.

>2) I think the main reason for appreciation of the solstice is that
>people take it as indicating the point at which the day begins to last
>just a little bit longer than the day before.

It should be noted that the Winter Solstice is an astronomical event:
it is the moment when the sun shines directly over the tropic of
Capricorn, the greatest distance from the equator.  The start and
end of days is another, more complicated matter.  See:
http://aa.usno.navy.mil/faq/docs/dark_days

>But in fact, this point is
>reached about a week before the solstice. At the latitude where I live,
>between December 4 and December 15th of this year the sun set at 4:11
>p.m. But on December 16, it set at 4:12 p.m. By the solstice yesterday,
>around here we already had gained a full three minutes of daylight at the
>end of the day. And I enjoyed every minute of it.

Good for you!  I hope that you spent the extra minutes of sunlight
decorating your Festivus pole!

>3) I have to register my protest against the designation of  December 21
>as "the first official day of winter", as we are repetitively told by the
>media. That may be true when defined in astronomical terms, but in normal
>and historical usage, "winter" refers to the three coldest months of the
>year which, in the Northern hemisphere, are December, January, and
>February.

Strictly speaking, this is not true as it depends upon the calendar
conventions used in one's society.  Quoting the Wikipedia entry on
Winter (standard disclaimers apply:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter

>In fact, December 22 (sometimes December 25) has historically
>been called "midwinter's day" (and June 21 (or 24) is "midsummer's day").
>How can winter have just begun if it's already midwinter?

Because it depends upon the culture's conventions for dating
astronomical and seasonal events?

That Cosmopolitan Dude,
-Mike Palij
New York University