Subject: RE: BBC NEWS | Health | Drink a day increases cancer risk
From: "Marc Carter" <marc.car...@bakeru.edu>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 13:51:57 -0600

,,If all the data on the carcinogenic and atherosclerotic effects of smoke were
correlational, I'd agree with you.  But they're not.  There are animal models,
there are _in vitro_ tissue studies, and there are complex correlational
techniques that all point to the health effects of smoking.  To claim that
smoking "causes" these things is based on far more than simple correlation.

That's why I can say smoking "causes" cancer to my students and not be a
hypocrite.  I cannot say (with the same confidence) that alcohol causes cancer,
or reduces heart disease.

-------
Marc L Carter, PhD
Associate Professor and Chair
Department of Psychology
Baker University College of Arts & Sciences>>
-------