Chris,

You may be misinterpreting my posts. My interpretation of your posts was that
you were negating all correlational research. I'm not sure if you meant this,
but it's what I gathered from your posts. When I questioned calling "these
studies ridiculous" - I thought you were referring to ALL correlational
studies, not just the current study.

In an earlier post you'll see I commented on exactly what you have said about
the smoking research and why the tobacco companies were wrong (they knew they
were wrong, btw). My citing the tobacco research was to illuminate that
non-experimental research CAN have merit, especially when ethical limitations
exist, when they are well conducted, and there is other supporting evidence.
You SEEMED to be poo-pooing correlational research in general, which is why I
raised the smoking research. I wasn't saying the alcohol/breast cancer research
was just as thorough and conclusive; in fact, I said the contrary! I also did
not say that I tell my students to STOP drinking (really, when did I say
this?). I give them a heads up about some of the emerging, albeit
correlational, research in this area and contrast this with the frenzy of
recommendations about alcohol preventing cardiovascular disease without any
consideration of potential other problems (they are not just limited to breast
cancer, btw - another area of concern are pre-natal effects). We seem to look
at research findings in a vacuum, and I briefly discuss the research in this
area as one example of why we need to be more critical. Also, between you and
me (and the rest of the list) I don't think the research on alcohol's
cardiovascular benefits is completely solid either.

But I still wonder, has anyone actually READ this current study? Should we be
jumping to conclusions about it just because the BBC did a poor job of
reporting it?

Dean