The key word here is "possible".
There are many speculations in the literature about possible
mechanisms for ethanol as a carcinogen that are consistent with
biological knowledge.
The question is whether there are any experimental demonstrations of
the _magnitude_ of these effects in vivo; even in animal models?

On Feb 27, 2009, at 7:25 AM, Rick Froman wrote:

> Since the assumption of this thread seems to be that all research
> on the link between alcohol and cancer is correlational and
> epidemiological, I thought I would do a Google Scholar search on
> alcohol and cancer and see what is out there. What was out there
> was approximately 814,000 hits. Of course these could all be
> correlational studies (and many are probably duplicates) so I
> clicked on the second one in the list and found an interesting
> article on possible biological mechanisms (http://
> www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2686698). I also found a link to a
> review of studies of alcohol and cancer as early as 1986 (http://
> www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3035901). The last line of the abstract
> was, “Animal models are needed in which effects of ethanol on
> carcinogenesis can be consistently demonstrated and which can then
> be used to examine mechanisms”.  I thought it unlikely that no
> experimental work had ensued in the intervening years. Indeed, a
> 2004 review article is available full text on the web at: http://
> alcalc.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/39/3/155 that includes
> sections on Animal Models and Possible Biological Mechanisms. The
> reference list of the article has links to many related articles
> available in full-text.

Paul Brandon
Emeritus Professor of Psychology
Minnesota State University, Mankato