On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 15:45:58 -0700, Michael Smith wrote:
>Actually I disagree, I don't think my thinking is muddled at all.

I think that this might be one of those "we'll have to agree to
disagree" issues.

>While your ANOVA analogy may be cute

I'm glad someone found it cute.

>it fails to address my contention that ethics are relative.

Okay.  Could you please specify the conditions under which
you find plagiarism in a student's work acceptable and would
not comment on it?  From a relativistic perspective, some forms
of plagiarism would appear to be acceptable (indeed, on TiPS
some have argued that self-plagiarism by a researcher can be
justified).  Under what conditions would a "recycled" paper,
essay, or presentation be acceptable?  I assume that either you
or your institution has a policy against plagiarism (indeed, many
places require that you include it in your syllabus) which might
seem to be absolute but, from a relativistic perspective, there
are no absolutes.

-Mike Palij
New York University
m...@nyu.edu