On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 17:09:02 -0700 wrote:
>Mike Palij wrote:
>> Okay. Could you please specify the conditions under which you find
>> plagiarism in a student's work acceptable and would not comment on it?
>> From a relativistic perspective, some forms of plagiarism would appear
>> to be acceptable (indeed, on TiPS some have argued that
>> self-plagiarism by a researcher can be justified). Under what
>> conditions would a "recycled" paper, essay, or presentation be
>> acceptable?
>
>Funny you should bring up precisely this example. An article on just
>this came up in Inside Higher Ed just the other day. It specifies
>exactly the conditions under which our particular, cultural prohibitions
>might not be appropriate to enforce:
> http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2009/04/16/cheat

I must have missed where in the article it says that a student enrolled
in a U.S. or Canadian college is allowed to plagiarize papers, the
initial paragraph notwithstanding.  The question for the poli sci student
situation is whether the U.S. college's academic standards are to
apply or Chilean standards?  Clearly, the U.S. department assumed
that the U.S. standards apply.  Why this was unclear to the student
is a puzzlement.  It is not an issue of fairness but which standards
are to be followed.

The issue of variations in academic standards internationally as well
as how this affects immigrants exposed to different standards as well
as how U.S./Candian students adapt to foreign standards, is not a new
issue.  At NYU during the 1990s, the introduction to psychology
course in the College of Arts & Science (which would typically have
several hundred students enrolled) had a significant problem with
recent Russian immigrants who had difficulty discriminating "sharing"
from "cheating" (especially on exams even though it was emphasized
that "sharing" was not allowed).  Similar sharing in other classes,
especially for papers, also had to be "extinguished" though it seems
like native U.S. students are striving to be more "international"
in their orientation towards academic standards.

So, the question of whether there are variations in academic standards
is not at issue:  there are variations and the real question is which standards
are to apply.  It should not come as a surprise that many U.S. institutions
will assert that U.S. standards apply and students at foreign institutions
not meeting U.S. standards will have to make up the work.  The clearest
example of this is in medical education.  People coming to the U.S.
with medical degrees from other countries have to meet specific standards
in order to practice medicine in the U.S.  One source of info on this is:
http://educationusaintaiwan.blogspot.com/2008/01/how-foreign-citizens-become-doctors-in.html

If one wants to work in the U.S. or U.S.-type institutions, it behooves
them to meet U.S. standards, at least until international standards are
agreed upon and become part of curricula everywhere.

Of course, one can always ignore U.S. or international standards
and rely only on "local" standards.  But one should not be surprised
if the local standards are not deemed to be equivalent.

-Mike Palij
New York University
m...@nyu.edu