Mike
Your last sentence "Because I don't particularly care about scientific
psychology per se, does not mean I don't value the results."
might be theoretically possible and maybe true for some individuals but I do
not think it is true for most students (or non students for that matter). Not
"caring" is for most students identical to "not valuing the results" - they go
hand in hand. There is a tremendous amount of anti-science sentiment among
students and part of that is based on not having any knowledge about scientific
principles. That is, there is no reason to "care" precisely because the results
are not that important/valued. So why should you value the results? You should
value them because you have spend hours in methods classes (and other
psychology classes) learning about concepts such as reliability, validity,
random assignment, external validity, internal validity, threat to internal
validity, need for replication, etc.  Once you have some sense of how
scientific psychology (I don't teach any other kind, by the way) works then I
think you are more likely to value the results. You will also be able
(hopefully) to spot pseudo science, bogus studies or unacceptable evidence. You
will (should) be able to ask "does this seem likely" - "what is the evidence
that is works". Think about how many bogus/dangerous/ineffective therapies
could have been avoided if therapists (and others) had even an undergraduate
level of understanding of research methodology.
Marie

Marie Helweg-Larsen, Ph.D.
Department Chair and Associate Professor of Psychology
Kaufman 168, Dickinson College
Carlisle, PA 17013
Office: (717) 245-1562, Fax: (717) 245-1971
http://www.dickinson.edu/departments/psych/helwegm/