Hi

I think we are being too modest in our appreciation of science (and its
intimate ally, reason), for at least 2 reasons.

1.  Is there some form of sound thinking about human behavior (or any aspect of
the natural world for that fact) that is NOT based on science and reason?  If
so, I have not heard about it.  Certainly psychological research should lead us
to be rather negative about any alternatives, as suggested by books with such
titles as "why people believe weird things," "why smart people do stupid
things," and on and on.

2.  Is there some way other than scientific methods to understand human
behavior and experience in ways that provide clinicians with accurate
theoretical models from which to work?  The idea of empirically validated
treatments is a very modest view of the role of science in practice.  To my
knowledge, engineers do not generally base their constructions on trial and
error evaluations of the kinds of stress that beams of certain size can bear.
They have accurate models that allow them to plug values into formula and
generate well founded solutions.  Clinicians should work from similar well
founded models of human behavior and experience.  To illustrate, the claims
about empathy and like clinical skills mentioned early in this thread presume a
certain model about the impact of such behaviors on clients.  What is that
model and on what is it based?

Take care
Jim

James M. Clark
204-774-4134 Fax
j.cl...@uwinnipeg.ca

>>> "Gerald Peterson" <peter...@svsu.edu> 22-Apr-09 7:27:51 PM >>>
And I also used this to develop a true/false misconception test that I use as a
pre-post measure in our Scientific Foundations class.  In the Stanovich book he
argues that psychologists should offer the public two guarantees: First that
claims are based on established scientific findings in psychology, and second,
that applications/treatments have been developed and tested/evaluated
scientifically.  I have long argued (ok, may a little tongue-in-cheek) that
clinical workers without such guarantees, do not differ from my sincere friends
who are psychic readers, healers, and self-taught spiritual counselors.  The
experience, intuitive insights, and training from seminars, etc., unless tested
systematically and based on established scientific consensus, offer no better
judgment, diagnostic acumen, or therapy effectiveness than psychic healers,
readers, counselors.  Alas, that's why I feel psychology students oriented
toward human service, do need to be critical thinkers and scientifically
literate.     Gary

Gerald L. (Gary) Peterson, Ph.D.
Professor, Psychology
Saginaw Valley State University
University Center, MI 48710
989-964-4491
peter...@svsu.edu

>>> "Helweg-Larsen, Marie" <helw...@dickinson.edu> 4/22/2009 6:37 pm >>>
I also love Stanovich and we require the book to be read by all our majors (as
part of the research methods class). It is really an excellent introduction to
what psychology is really all about and nicely addresses each of the
misperceptions that our students have about psychology as a field.
Marie

Marie Helweg-Larsen, Ph.D.
Department Chair and Associate Professor of Psychology
Kaufman 168, Dickinson College
Carlisle, PA 17013
Office: (717) 245-1562, Fax: (717) 245-1971
http://www.dickinson.edu/departments/psych/helwegm/