Guess I'll chime in too. With a couple of ideas.

First, I make a distinction between lower and upper-division in my
expectations. In LD courses, I expect the students to spend a lot of time
acquiring information (memorizing) with a moderate focus on application of this
information. In most UD courses, I back off on the acquisition requirement but
really push students to work analytically with information from their reading
-- mainly via class discussion and writing assignments. Since memorization is a
primary focus (and since they have already thought and written extensively
about the main concepts in their responses to homework questions over the
reading), the typical closed-book test does not seem appropriate. So I allow
them to bring their homework submissions and any notes they want to the midterm
exams (but they can't bring their textbooks). This encourages them to tackle
the homework questions in depth and they make lots of detailed notes
summarizing the main ideas in the reading. I like the way they prepare for
these open-note exams, they like the format, and I still get a decent point
spread after grading their work.

Second thought: When I use an online instructional format, all tests are
conducted online and hence are open-book. When I use multiple-choice tests, I
set a time limit (usually based on 50 seconds per MC item) so the students have
no choice but to study -- they don't have time to look up more than a few items
(and they have to know the book well enough to know where to look). There is no
reason why you can't use this same procedure in a traditional face-to-face
class. Make it open-book but set a time limit so that they have to really study
the book in order to complete the test before their time is up.

--Dave