It is important not to get too isolated in one's own (sub)discipline,
and mistake it for the world at large. Physicists routinely speak of the
behavior of subatomic particles. (And there are bodily functions in
animals that are subject to conditioning, but that one would only
tendentiously refer to as "behavior," such a blood pressure and heart rate.)

Hempel told us more than half a century ago that strict definitions are
mostly a bad thing in science because thei foreclose on possible future
discoveries. Scientific concepts, he said, have an open character. Now,
I don't agree with everything Hempel said about science, but on this
point he was dead right. If you haven't seen it, you might be interested
in my article (now 17 years old-- ack!) on the bizarre history of the
"operational definition" in psychology:
http://www.yorku.ca/christo/papers/operat.htm

Regards,
Chris Green