This raises the issue of levels of observation and definition.
When talking about group behavior, we can either view (and define) it as an aggregate of individuals (molecular), or as an emergent process at a higher level of observation (molar), in which case we have a new phenomenon which doesn't simply obey the rules of a sum of individuals and requires a new definition at its own level of observation.

This often has practical (applied) advantages since we usually measure practical success at a more molar level of observation.