I hate to accuse Stephen of speciesism but my thinking about the animal/plant distinction is based on a lifetime of fighting the invasion of thorny-bushes and kudzu. They move slower than some other creatures but are just as aggressive in the Southern USA.

More seriously, talk to botanists and read:

Darwin, C. R. 1875. The movements and habits of climbing plants. 2d edition. London: John Murray.

Ken

sbl...@ubishops.ca wrote:

My two cents. Whatever behaviour is, I'm sure that oak trees don't do it. So any definition which allows oak trees to behave will not do. The same goes for Canadian maple trees. Dogwood--maybe, because of their bark. Stephen

Stephen L. Black, Ph.D. Professor of Psychology, Emeritus Bishop's University e-mail: sbl...@ubishops.ca
2600 College St.
Sherbrooke QC  J1M 1Z7
Canada

Subscribe to discussion list (TIPS) for the teaching of
psychology at http://flightline.highline.edu/sfrantz/tips/

Kenneth M. Steele, Ph.D.                  steel...@appstate.edu
Professor
Department of Psychology          http://www.psych.appstate.edu