John Kulig wrote:

It is amazing how many great virtuousos are being trained in the east,

and how culture flows  cross borders ... though the pinko in me notices

how it seems to flow from one upper class to another ..

First, in the UK people who like classical music come predominantly from the middles classes, not the "upper class". In any case a reasonable proportion of these "middle class" people would have come from a "working class" background and received an education that took them to a profession which made them "middle class".

Second, the interest in classical music in Japan and China goes far beyond the production of virtuososi. And a TV programme on Western classical music in China I saw a month or so ago gave the impression that the interest (certainly in terms of performing) is widespread in schools, and at least among townsfolk it did not seem to be limited to the middle classes. (I'm sure China manufactures musical instruments far more cheaply than in Europe or the States!) There was no indication that it had arrived via upper class transmission!

Allen Esterson

Former lecturer, Science Department

Southwark College, London

http://www.esterson.org