Allen et al

Well, this is way off the track of the original cross-cultural issue, but,
intriguing ... you mean there is less interest (per capita) in classical music
in the UK upper classes than the middle/lower classes? Or does the rate bears
no relationship (r = 0) to social class? Any data? I am predicting the
relationship is positive and will do some digging. I expect so since, in
general, upper classes travel more & have more money for music lessons. People
who attend opera have more money than those who attend, say, country music;
higher SES people are more likely to sample foods from different cultures, try
fashions from different cultures; all then filter down the SES. While I am
digging up data, let me throw out one bit of nostalgia info that we should all
familar with: George Harrison went to India and learned how to play the sitar
from Ravi Shankar in the late 60s. He inspired alot of us who were strumming
guitars, and all of a sudden we were buying Indian classical music, doing yoga,
Hinduism, meditation, etc. Now everyone knows about it.

Cheers

p.s. I think cross cultural issues are psych relevant

John W. Kulig
Professor of Psychology
Plymouth State University
Plymouth NH 03264