Annette,

Kalat does at least partially address both of your questions in his bio
psych text. On the first question about sex differences, he cites a
source--here's the abstract on Pubmed:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12725764?ordinalpos=2&itool=EntrezSystem2
.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DefaultReportPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSu

or:

http://tinyurl.com/ml2ozx

In that study, the conclusion appears to be that males & females have
similar amounts of gray matter in the brain, but males have greater amount
of white matter.

On your second question, Kalat is not as specific, and doesn't cite a source
for what he does say, so I'll leave that one to others.

John
--
John Serafin
Psychology Department