>From what I have read, the reason epinephrine and norepinephrine are so
crucial to memory is that both serve to maintain our brain in an alert
state--one which is crucial for effective learning and memory
consolidation.  But, as John says (and I'm finally learning to make clear
to my students), certain neurotransmitters have identified functions as
well as certain brain structures have identified functions BUT our brain
is a very fluid, complex and dynamic system.  Therefore, what we cover in
class relative to the function of neurotransmitters and brain structures
is basically providing them with a "beginner's kit," as most complex brain
activities involve a number of brain structures as well a number of
different types of neurotransmitters.

Joan
jwarm...@oakton.edu