From: Don Allen [dal...@langara.bc.ca]
Sent: Wednesday, September 16, 2009 9:27 PM
To: Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS)
Subject: Re: [tips] Any guesses on the probability?

Well no actually. In a previous life I spent about ten years as a prison
psychologist. I worked in both male and female federal and provincial
correctional centres so I have a fair amount of experience to draw on. I can
assure you that women have committed acts that were as heinous (and more) than
did their male counterparts. These crimes ran the gamut from homicide to sexual
assault. One story that was frequently presented was: "I copped to the plea so
my girlfriend could walk". I have no way of verifying those claims but I
suspect that a number of them were true.

The notion that women are less capable of vile acts than men fits well with a
view of women as the "fair sex" but I don't think that it is well supported by
the data.

-Don.