Well, it might be useful to seperate a couple of different factors:

(1)  There is the question of whether women are capable *at all*
of a certain type of crime, for example, for whatever reason, they
are incapable of commiting homicides.  The fact that women *do*
commit homicides falsifies the assertion that they cannot commit
such crime.  This point is actually relevant to the question of
whether women can be serial killers like male serial killers.  If
the model of a serial killer is based upon what male serial killers
do, it is plausible to think that female are unlikely to be serial
killers because male serial killers will often use their physical
strength and related capabilities to take their victims.  However,
this ignores the possibility that female serial killers may operate
in a fundamentally different way, for example, as "angels of mercy/death"
who kill people that they may be caring for and are either ill or
physically weaker them.  Realizing that there may be sex differences
between male and female serial killers helps to recognize which
situations may actually involve male or female serial killers.
In some ways, this is comparable to how clinicians have thought
about depression and using how females express depression
leading to the position that males don't experience depression
to the same degree as females -- the problem being that males
may express depression in different ways and are thus missed.

(2) The problem with crime statistics is that they represent only those
people who have been caught and convicted of the crime.  Smart
serial killers without psychotic symptoms who enjoy engaging in
serial killing will take precautions against being caught (the "Green
River Killer" is an example; I believe that estimates of the percentage
of serial killers at large imply that many of them are unlikely to be
caught).  The degree of error in crime statistics, especially when
it comes to female offenders, should be a concern because, in part,
biases like females are less capable of homicide or assaults (or the
great taboo of females commiting spouse abuse) are likely to affect
whether females are charged with the crime, prosecuted, and
convicted.

So, I would amend Martin's last statement to say, in keeeping with an
empiricist orientation, "woment are far less likely to be convicted of
crimes".  Whether they actually commit these crimes to lesser degree
is an empirical question.

-Mike Palij
New York University
m...@nyu.edu