Hi

In addition to points already made about crime statistics, most
observational and laboratory studies of physical aggression also show
marked gender differences.  Average effect size is about .5 in various
meta-analyses.

Nonetheless, it is certainly possible that biases could result in
violence perpetrated by women being less likely to be acknowledged by
society, including police and the courts.  It appears likely, for
example, that the "effect size" for gender differences in violent crimes
is much greater than the male propensity for violence in the general
population.  Is this due to bias?

Or is the difference between general and criminal violence accounted
for by the fact that modest average differences can result in huge
disparities between populations in the extremes of the distribution,
assuming that violent crimes represent the extreme upper end of
propensity to violence?  Given the magnitude of the gender difference in
criminal violence I would expect this to not be the whole story.  I just
did a simple simulation of 500,000 males and 500,000 females with a .5
sd difference.  You have to go to an extremely high cut-off of 4sd above
female mean to get proportions like those in the crime statistics; the
number of males >4 sd was 168 and the number of females was 19 (females
only 10%).  If you add greater variability for males, as is done in some
domains, then imbalance becomes quite marked at lower levels.

Given stereotypes of males and females, it would perhaps be surprising
if there was not some resistance that needed to be overcome to recognize
vile acts performed by women.

Take care
Jim

James M. Clark
204-774-4134 Fax
j.cl...@uwinnipeg.ca

>>> <sbl...@ubishops.ca> 16-Sep-09 9:17:20 PM >>>
MIke Smith asked whether there was a bias in the legal system
that women were less capable of vile acts than men. I said
"Because it's true?"

On 16 Sep 2009 at 21:27, Don Allen wrote:

> Well no actually. In a previous life I spent about ten years as a
> prison psychologist. I worked in both male and female federal
> and provincial correctional centres so I have a fair amount of
> experience to draw on. I can assure you that women have
> committed acts that were as heinous (and more) than did their
> male counterparts.

Interesting, but not the point, or perhaps I misunderstood the
question.  Women are certainly capable of exceedingly vile acts.
If the question is merely whether somewhere there is at least
one woman who has committed a crime as savage as any
committed by a man,  well, sure. But that's not very useful
information.

But the probability that the perpetrator of a horrendous act will
turn out to be a male rather than a female is very high. Physical
violence is as common as dirt for males; for women, not so
much (wish I had some statistics to quote, but I don't, but I'm
sure they exist). Our prison population of violent offenders is
mostly male, and I doubt the reason is an unfair legal system
(more below).

Don's mistake may be in thinking that his observations on a
prison population are representative of the general population;
they're not, of course (isn't this the availability heuristic?). If you

only look underwater, you'd tend to think most life forms were
fish.

OK, a quick google turns up a New Zealand review of the
evidence:
/www.nzfvc.org.nz/PublicationDetails.aspx?publication=14144

They say, with references:

"Men*s rates of general violence consistently exceed those of
women by a large margin. International research suggests
this holds true across countries, across time and in relation to
different forms of violence. Despite the differential rates
of reporting and recording violence in different countries and
sectors of society, most reported violence is perpetrated
by men. The only exceptions to this are closer parity (though not
equality) between African American men and women,
and child abuse in the home"

"The authors of an international literature review concluded that
women committed far less violent crime than men, that
violent offending constituted only a small percentage of
women*s offending, and that the types of offences committed
by women tended to be less serious than those committed by
men"

Of course, all of this may be explained by a world-wide bias in
justice systems.  Seems far-fetched to me, especially as legal
systems are dominated by men, and so would be more likely to
have a bias in favour of their own sex. Unless someone can
show otherwise, the statistics appear to be unassailable facts.
But the interpretation that they are caused by a world-wide legal
conspiracy against men requires a bit of evidence. no?

(and thanks, Martin B., for your post along the same lines, which
arrived just as I was polishing this up).

Stephen L. Black, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology, Emeritus
Bishop's University
 e-mail:  sbl...@ubishops.ca