What about cats who don't purr. I have a cat that never purrs; he did a bit as
a kitten and then stopped almost immediately after being adopted from the
pound. And no, we do not practice cat-abuse. Our last kitty lived to be 23!

I also know that cats normally purr when they are happy and also when they are
quite distressed; not sure why the two opposing mechanisms. I did catch my cat
purring once at the vet's many years ago. At any rate, my cat purrs in neither
situation now--neither happy nor distressed. He also doesn't meow much. He
squeaks and makes little grunting sounds with me--doesn't do it for anyone
else, but then again, I'm "mommy." :)

Annette

Annette Kujawski Taylor, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology