Marc- That's closer to what we have in our house as well. We have a wonderful
Bengal cat- sweet as she can be. But if she's out of food she doesn't engage in
any subtle solicitations. It is overt and dramatic- since I can't type feline,
it is pretty close to, "FEED ME!!!!" followed by, "FEED ME NOW, YA CREEPS!!!!"
Bengals are notorious vocalizers. They are among the most expressive and
loudest cats I've ever experienced- including a litany of sounds I have never
heard from a cat or other species, for that matter. When we "picked her out",
as if that really happened, the breeder was very adamant that if her
vocalizations bother you please return her and I'll take her back. Apparently
that is a frequent result. I will not, so long as I live, ever forget the first
time she truly "sang" for us. She was standing behind my chair with me sitting
reading for neuropsychology class. The sound is indescribable - I literally
jumped out of the chair (ever tried jumping from a recliner?) and I have seldom
ever felt such fear!

She will sometimes engage in the behavior described here as solicitation but it
is to get into your lap to get petted and go to sleep- not over food. It will
be interesting to get a copy of the research and see how frequent etc this is.
Maybe there is a publication for us in our non-solicitor cats! :)
Tim

Timothy O. Shearon, PhD
Professor and Chair Department of Psychology
The College of Idaho
Caldwell, ID 83605
email: tshea...@collegeofidaho.edu

teaching: intro to neuropsychology; psychopharmacology; general; history and
systems

"You can't teach an old dogma new tricks." Dorothy Parker