I thought you were going underground.
Anyway, there is a lot on the cultural aspect of eating (since I dare
say that this is one area that is the slowest to change when a group
moves to a different location). An excellent resource on this is Food
and Culture by Kittler & Sucher.

As to breast feeding - yes there are huge cultural differences.
American women are typically less likely to breast feed and also breast
feed for a shorter period of time than women in many other places.
Plump babies, though, are not just an American preference - you see a
preference for this in a number of cultures (because it means the child
is getting enough food).

michael sylvester wrote:

>It is one thing to research on the psychology of eating in the U.S with
mostly white subjects and quite another
>to understand the factors in the panorama of eating through out the
world.Research on eating is too U.S centric to assume that results can
be validated throughout. Americans( within the continental U.S) seem to
lack the ability to discriminate on a variety of gustatory factors.When
they are unable to discriminate detween various flavors they say
>"it tastes like chicken." The "taste like chicken " response probably
influences consumption levels.As the only cross-cultural dude on Tips,I
have observed that some people here have  problems in describing the
tastes of mangoes,plantains,and  tamarinds. And of course there is the
"not too spicy" command.What some people dubbed spicy like diluted
tabasco is a joke.Real hot stuff will put one's lungs on fire.
> Research on the psychology of eating fails to take into account
homeostatic factors of different subjects
>prior to experimentation.There must also be consideration of the eating
modality; for example in some cultures,the salad is eaten after  the
main course(which seems politically nutritionally correct) whereas in
the U.S the rabbit food is given first.
>  But probably what could be influential is the the role of a
behavioral history of breast feeding and its subsequent
>impact on eating behavior throughout the adult phases.Formula feeding
is predominant in the U.S whereas in the majority of cultures.breast
feeding predominates. Those two models can have differential effects on
subsequent
>eating behavior.U.S parents tend to think that a fat baby is a healthy
baby,hence babis are forced to gobble down all the contents of the
whole bottle which contains sweet succulent ingredients.On the other
hand breast feeding is timely,is nutritionally enhancing,and sets the
early conditioning not to over indulge because of the limited amount
>of limited breast milk at any given time.With formula feeding there are
no limits.
>    Anyway,I understand that the best ice cream is in Florence,Italy.
>
>Send me something.
>
>Michael Sylvester,PhD
>Deep down in Florida
>---
>To make changes to your subscription contact:
>
>Bill Southerly (bsouthe...@frostburg.edu)

Deb

Dr. Deborah S. Briihl
Dept. of Psychology and Counseling