Hi, All --

I don't disagree with Don at all, but I want to turn Michael's question on its
head: why are we (or is APA) not serious about training practitioners so that
they can read and evaluate research?  Why is this sort of training not a part
of the continuing education that clinicians and counselors are required to get?

How can we in conscience send practioners out into the world who are incurious,
unsophisticated and gullible?  Isn't it our (or at least APA's) responsibility
to certify programs that turn out people who know how to read research and
evaluate it?   I give you as an example _The Courage to Heal_ and the great
damage that caused simply because of gullibility and a pervasive sense that an
effective therapy can be judged because, "well, this sounds right."

I certainly don't want my doctor choosing a medicine on the basis of anything
other than what's been shown to work.  Why should we expect less of therapists?

It frightens me.

Marc Carter, PhD
Associate Professor and Chair
Department of Psychology