Hi

James M. Clark
204-774-4134 Fax
j.cl...@uwinnipeg.ca

>>> "Lilienfeld, Scott O" <slil...@emory.edu> 15-Oct-09 1:26:35 PM >>>
    Can we persuade individuals who enter graduate school with an indifference
or even antipathy toward science to care about science - or at least care about
finding ways of minimizing their propensity toward errors - with proper
training?  I don't know, although that's the focus of our manuscript.  I
believe (?) I've had a few scattered successes over the years in my graduate
teaching and mentoring, but there's no question that it's hard work.

JC:
This suggests that perhaps the problem is better addressed prior to grad
school; i.e., at the undergraduate level.  We want to inculcate in our students
the firm belief that science is THE way to address most issues about human
behavior and experience.  This also serves to address the problem that it it
may not be just clinical psychology that experiences ascientific students ...
might this not be similarly characteristic of other applied domains?  And if we
take the arrival of too many students into clinical psychology without a strong
scientific orientation, does that indicate a shortcoming in our current
practices with respect to inculcating science in our students?

Take care
Jim