���Chris Green wrote:
>Allen Esterson wrote:
>> Clinical psychology at least has its roots in experimentation,

Just to clarify:  I didn't write that sentence (except in the literal
sense that I quoted it). If you look closely (see below) you'll see I
started with the heading:
Nature, 15 October 2009: Editorial
Psychology: a reality check

There followed three paragraphs copied from *Nature*, after which I
wrote "Read the rest here:..."

Nothing of mine at all!

--Allen E.

[tips] *Nature* on APA and clinical psychology
Allen Esterson
Wed, 14 Oct 2009 23:26:45 -0700

Nature, 15 October 2009: Editorial
Psychology: a reality check

Anyone reading Sigmund Freud's original works might well be seduced by
the beauty of his prose, the elegance of his arguments and the acuity
of his intuition. But those with a grounding in science will also be
shocked by the abandon with which he elaborated his theories on the
basis of essentially no empirical evidence. This is one of the main
reasons why Freudian-style psychoanalysis has long since fallen out of
fashion…

Clinical psychology at least has its roots in experimentation, but it
is drifting away from science. Concerns about cost–benefit issues are
growing, especially in the United States. According to a damning report
published last week (T. B. Baker et al. Psychol. Sci. Public Interest
9, 67–103; 2008), an alarmingly high proportion of practitioners
consider scientific evidence to be less important than their personal —
that is, subjective — clinical experience…

The situation has created tensions within the American Psychological
Association (APA), the body that accredits the courses leading to
qualification for a clinical psychologist to practise in the United
States and Canada. The APA requires that such courses have a scientific
component, but it does not require that science be as central as some
members would like. In frustration, representatives of some two-dozen
top research-focused graduate-training programmes grouped together in
1994 to form the Academy of Psychological Clinical Science (APCS), with
a mission to promote scientific psychology.

Read the rest here:

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v461/n7266/full/461847a.html
or
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v461/n7266/pdf/461847a.pdf