Chris said....

Language requirements are still common in the humanities. I had to do French for my philosophy PhD just a few years back. Sometime after psychology decided that it was a "natural science" (and therefore, I suppose, spoke the "language of nature") it dumped its language requirements most places. (I can remember some students attempting to argue that learning a computer programing "language" should count. I think I lost that argument because I was so busy laughing.)

I had no Ph.D. level language requirement.

As an undergraduate I had no university-wide language requirement, but my biology major (part of a psych-bio double) required a year of something. I made exactly the same argument Chris is laughing about - and lost.

Before Chris starts laughing again I would ask him what purpose such a requirement serves?

If it is a passing wave to liberal education, fine - I can live with that.

But - if a few semesters of foreign language are somehow supposed to be useful - well - I know for a fact that an equivalent number of semesters in computer science have been of far greater use in my career.

-- Jim Dougan

P.S. There is a story, perhaps apocryphal, that Smitty Stevens didn't think Harvard Ph.D. students knew enough German, so he would sometimes give exams in German, without prior warning.