Hi

I essentially agree with Marie (having grown up without a father, I pretty much
have to!).  But "doing fine" with two same-sex parents does not deny the
possibility of differences, such as (HYPOTHETICALLY!) boys growing up to be
less aggressive and more caring.  Also, there is a literature showing positive
associations with father involvement in child-rearing, which is not the same as
father absent unless one thinks of father (completely) absent as 0 involvement.

Take care
Jim

James M. Clark
204-774-4134 Fax
j.cl...@uwinnipeg.ca

Department of Psychology
University of Winnipeg
Winnipeg, Manitoba
R3B 2E9
CANADA

>>> "Helweg-Larsen, Marie" <helw...@dickinson.edu> 30-Oct-09 10:02 AM >>>
Aside from the problems of generalizing from degu pups to human infants I think
the study was lacking some control groups (perhaps they were included in the
study which I have not read). In order to conclude that the changes were due to
the "absent father" (aside: do degu pups have "fathers" - I am imagining lots
of son-father chats, trips to the playground, etc) it seems that you would need
to compare what would happen if you replaced the father with another male
caregiver or with another female caregiver. It makes sense that having more
caregivers might be advantageous (in humans as well) but do they really have to
be related and does the gender matter (the article said that the male/female
parents gave the same type of care)?

As an aside I found the Washington Post writing pretty heterosexist. The first
sentence reads : "Conventional wisdom holds that two parents are better than
one. Scientists are now finding that growing up without a father actually
changes the way your brain develops." I think we have pretty well established
that kids do fine when raised by two same-sex parents.

Marie

Washington Post article
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704754804574491811861197926.html

Marie Helweg-Larsen, Ph.D.
Department Chair and Associate Professor of Psychology
Kaufman 168, Dickinson College
Carlisle, PA 17013, office (717) 245-1562, fax (717) 245-1971
Office hours: Mon/Thur 3-4, Tues 10:30-11:30
http://www.dickinson.edu/departments/psych/helwegm