We've been following the students longitudinally. Here are some results that
are not yet ready for publication because for these types of analyses we need a
bigger N and are working on that. Being at a small schoool AND having to wait
for years to pass is frustrating!

At first we were discouraged because it seemed that JUST looking at
misconceptions scores over time students were slowly but surely reverting back
to their prior beliefs--and that in itself is not too surprising, especially if
they have not take more psych classes over time to reinforce the correct
conceptions, but instead are sometimes bombarded by misinformation.

We then looked at goal orientation, breaking it down by Elliot and Church's
suggestion into mastery versus performance approach and performance avoidance.
We also looked at learning stratgies used (we mostly used MSLQ scales).

At the end of the first semester when students were exiting the intro psych
course, only surface learning strategies such as rehearsal predicted change in
misconceptions.

At the end of three years, overall, many students had returned to their
previous beliefs BUT those who had a mastery orientation during their freshman
year, while they were learning the correct information in class, retained the
change from misconception to correct conception. Those who scored high in
effort regulation and metacognitive self-regulation did also. Those who scored
high in performance motivations were the ones who were most likely to go back
to their old ways of thinking--especially those high in performance avoidance.

So, we are looking at the tie-in between motivation, learning strategies, and
several other variables, and change in beliefs. We will be ready to publish in
about 4 more years. LOL!

Annette

Annette Kujawski Taylor, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology